Long, hot, humid days can be a pain for any hair type, but don’t fret about your summer hair! We have compiled a list of the trendiest summer-proof and low maintenance hair for summer.
1. Loose Curls
Loose piecey waves, a la Zoe Saldana, can be achieved by curling 1-inch pieces with a curling iron, or by sleeping with wet braids in your hair. Finish with Be Curly hairspray.
2. Smooth Ponytail
Hayden Panettiere fights summer frizz with a sleek ponytail. How to achieve this look: Start with smooth infusion shampoo and conditioner. Apply smooth infusion glossing straightener and blow straight with a Mason Pearson brush. Use the Mason Pearson brush to create the smooth ponytail look, before securing the binder, add some volume at the crown with Volumizing Tonic.
3. Long Bob
Transform this sleek haircut into a full-blown summer look with a blonde sun-kissed balayage.
4. Low Buns
This smooth polished style is very low maintenance for all day wear.
See more summer inspiration on our Summer Pinterest board!
If you are considering putting color in your hair, here are 10 things you need to know before committing to your new look:
1. A one-step color consists of tinting all of your hair a different tone or level. A permanent one-step color should be retouched every 4-6 weeks. Permanent color is the ONLY way to get complete grey coverage.
2. Coloring your hair will change its texture. Hair is softer and healthier after a color treatment. Grey hair feels much less wiry and is easier to manage.
3. Color can't lighten color. Once committed to a permanent shade, the option to lighten the hair becomes a 2-step process. Natural hair has the ability to become 5 shades lighter without bleaching. If you are debating between 2 shades, start with the lighter image, you can always go darker next time.
4. Aveda has a demi-permanent hair color line that is 99% natural, lasts 6-8 weeks, and is ammonia free. If you are going darker without needing grey coverage, I recommend a demi-gloss to keep options open and hair smooth and shiny.
5. Bleach actually DOESN’T damage hair (IF used properly). Breakage occurs from the chemical overlapping itself or poor time management. Bleach can be formulated to work as slow or fast as an artist desires. I believe Aveda Enlightener is the most gentle bleach on the market. With natural buffers and plant extracts hair is protected during the lifting process.
6. Sun and shampoo are the two main reasons hair color fades. Protect your new look by shampooing with Color Conserve Shampoo. Letting your color go from wet to dry in the sun creates a high risk of fading. Aveda Sun Veil keeps hair protected for 16 hours and leaves awesome finish on the hair.
7. Balayage consists of hand painting highlights to create modern dimensional color. Balayage is the softest way to introduce color into your hair. One Ombré or Balayage service can last you all summer.
8. A new color should come with a maintenance plan. Most colors are maintained differently than they are created. Meaning you may spend more time and money initially to set it up your new look, but once it is installed, appointments become short and sweet. Most of my guests balayage their hair three times a year. They may maintain a one-step color more regularly in order to cover grey, manage dark or light new growth, or change their tone and add shine.
9. All Aveda color is customized individually, and every formulation is perfectly personalized. Colors consist of bases and tones expertly blended precisely for you.
10. Color and Cut Consultations are always complimentary if you have more questions before you're ready to ready to make a change!
Blog post by Lindsey Yozamp, Master Color Specialist. Lindsey has been with Juut since 2004. In addition to working at Gaviidae, Lindsey is a color educator at the Juut New Artists Academy.
"Punk Chaos to Couture" was the theme of this year's Costume Institute Gala. We loved the smokey eyes, spikes + studs, druzy jewelry and edgy hairstyles. So we thought we would try out some of our favorite punk trends!
Punk Hair Inspiration: Punk Hair Our Way:
Step 1. Wash hair, use Phomollient and Pure Abundance spray liberally
Step 2. Blow hair dry, at 70% dry paddle brush completely straight.
Step 3. Section from an inch above the temple, in an arch shape down head to about an inch below the ear.
Step 4. This braid is called an "on the scalp" or "cornrow". You begin as any French braid tucking pieces under each other instead of over. Braid all the way down using a band to tie off the ends.
Step 5. Use control force to spray hair and rough up the texture.
Smokey Eye Inspiration:
Smokey Eye Our Way:
The (super easy) Winged Smokey Eye
Step 1: Use the Damone Brow Highlighter as a base on the entire lid and up to the eyebrow.
Step 2: Line the top lid with Aveda Petal Essence eye liner. Apply in a thick line along the entire eye.
Step 3: Use the Aveda Smudger Brush to smooth the line and extend the liner into a cat eye.
Step 4: Crease lid with Aveda eye shadow. (We used Aura Petal Essence eye color here on Kathy.)
Step 5: Highlight inner eyes using Damone Brow Highlighter again.
Step 6: Finish with Mascara on top and bottom lashes.
Punk Trend our way:
*Featured jewelry by Jessica Matrasko available at Juut. Manicure by Sarah R. from Juut Roseville.
Thanks to Master Stylist, Heather Dietiker, for doing the hair in this post, and thanks to Senior Makeup Artist Jasmine D. for the makeup.
Both Artists from Juut Salonspa Roseville.
Hailed by many as the 5-minute facelift, NuFace is now available at Juut. The micro-current device retails for $325- which is several several hundred dollars less than a facelift or browlift. Scared of that price tag? Come in for a facial and let one of our Estheticians make you a believer! NuFace is now being used during facials for ideal candidates – at no additional cost.
So here’s the scoop on the ‘billion dollar face lift:’
-NuFace Trinity retails for $325
-NuFace uses micro-current technology to lift and tone the skin on a muscular level.
-It's great for ANY age as it both prevents aging and works to repair the signs of aging.
-NuFace also offers red and infrared therapy to help with fine lines and wrinkles on a molecular level.
-Benefits: increases collagen and elastin production, increases circulation, and reeducates the muscles to stay lifted and toned (like a workout for your face!)
-At home use: for the first 90 days use NuFace 5 times a week for 5-20 minutes. After that, use NuFace 3 times a week for as little as 5 minutes for maintenance.
-Does it hurt? No! You may feel a slight tingle but no pain from using NuFace.
-Who shouldn’t use NuFace? If you are pregnant, have a history of seizures, have a medically implanted device such as a pacemaker, have cancer or are currently using Vitamin A. After discontinuing use of Vitamin A for 1 week it is safe to resume using NuFace.
Testimony from our model Amy: “I have a problem with my heavy eyelids, and the NuFace actually lifts my heavy eyelids and gets rid of the puffy look. Overall, my face feels plumper, more toned and more energized.”
Thanks to Jen T., Master Esthetician and Esthetic Director for help with this blog post. Interested in the NuFace? Come in and see Jen!
At Juut, we recently celebrated Daymaker Day (April 29) by giving away makeovers to some very deserving people!
Each Juut location formed a team and selected a model to get an overall style transformation.
Wayzata Team: Stephanie Domrose, Kari Ann Donnay
Woodbury Team: Allison B., Kaytie D., Cassandra G., Mari Gonzalez
St. Paul Team: Emmy Le, Lawkong Vue, Edie K., Amber Sorbo, Rebecca Libman, Renee A., Christine A.
Roseville Team: Marisa Bean, Ann F., Zach K., Jasmine D., Jo Lindell, Micah T., Jackson Black, Ashley L., Heather Dietker, Josh W., Courtney Ferguson
Models: Mike + Colleen
Gaviidae Team: Santa Fe Gates, Leah Luebbe, Elle Boller, Kelly Hegna, Cianna P., Stephanie Hansen
Southdale Team: Elle Bergquist, Dana Prawer, Paige Palma, Tasha Hager, Keilani Lee
Uptown Team: Elsie Landmark, Kristi Long
"After" Photography by Kelly Gritzmacher
Want to share your Daymaker stories? Check out the Daymaker Movement blog and Facebook page.
Looking to mix up your manicure routine this weekend? Nail Technician Magali Moua shares some of her most exciting summer looks.
Spring Break party nails:
Spa Ritual and Orly glam manicure:
Looking for more nail inspiration? Check out our nail board on Pinterest!
Magali Moua is a Studio Nail Technician who splits her time
between our St. Paul location and our Gaviidae location.
Congrats to our company-wide Daymakers of the Year!
Each Daymaker of the Year was given $100 to donate to the charity of their choosing
St. Paul: Marisa
Children’s Cancer Research Foundation – Time to Fly
Uptown: Jenn, Recruiter + Education Coordinator
Employee affected with Guillain-Barre Syndrome
Melanoma Research Foundation
All Dog Rescue
Second Hand Hounds
Corporate office: Brenda
Cookies for Kids Cancer
Wine to Water
Palo Alto: Mika
Human Trafficking Abolitionist Group
Company-wide Daymaker of the Year: Darren, Retail Inventory Manager
Wine to Water
Spring has sprung! And so has one of the most fun trends of the year; the 60's!
From the hair, to the makeup to the patterns, the 60's are our inspiration for spring!
Louis Vuitton brought bright and bold to the runway this season. Bright solid colored
checkers as well as black and white was a huge trend at Louis Vuitton.
At Marc Jacobs, we see 60's beauty back in full swing including; thick graphic eyeliner,
big lashes, sharp brows, nude lip, hair teased at the crown with a severe side-part.
60's hair and makeup trends were also prevalent on models at Moschino and Louis Vuitton:
big eyelashes and side parts as well as volume at the crown of the hair.
Bold, bright colors and prints were a staple at Moschino. The 60's style brings
back bold colors and does away with the pastel.
Watch out for fun mod 60's-inspired accessories this spring!
Big thanks to Joel Gunderson for trend-spotting the 60's with us!
Did you know that worldwide, nearly one in five deaths of children under the age of 5 is due to a water-related disease?
Each year during the month of April, Aveda focuses on raising donations to support clean water projects around the world. By choosing to focus all our efforts on clean water projects, young children around the world will gain more than 413 million days of health!
The Earth Month candle this year features vanilla, cinnamon and ylang ylang from Madagascar. Made with 100% certified organic ingredients and soy wax that burns cleanly in 100% reclaimed glass beverage bottles.
The images used on the candle packaging were created by children living in the village of Ampasimanjeva, Madagascar. This village has benefitted from a clean water project from Aveda’s Earth Month.
One $12 candle purchase can:
- Provide a year’s supply of drinking water for a person living in Madagascar
- Buy 8 meters of piping to transport drinking water in Morocco.
- Supply a year of water conservation, health and hygiene education for a family in India.
Allen Ruiz, Style Director, Global Artistic Team AVEDA, recently visited Juut!
Allen Ruiz, one of the most sought after educators in the industry spent an entire day sharing his knowledge and expertise with several Juut Artists.
These lucky Juut Artists had the opportunity to spend the day with Allen learning new layering techniques and styling tips.
Larissa Wong, Jen Hughes and Woody Theis were able to assist Allen during the class as the Artists began using the newly mastered cutting techniques. Allen often leads the New York Fashion Week shows that Larissa, Woody and Jen attend with Aveda.
The Juut Artists were happy to see that Allen is an inspirational educator among young and innovative hairdressers and a globally recognized artist.
Allen has worked with Aveda for more than 18 years, collaborating on the Company's global marketing campaigns, manufacturer advisory panels and trend collections. He is the owner of Jackson Ruiz SalonSpa, in his native Austin, Texas. In 2010, Allen was named North American Style Director for Aveda. Allen was named International Stylist of the Year at the 2011 Canadian Mirror Awards.
We feel so honored to have hosted Allen for the day at Juut as a part of our continued effort to provide the highest level of education possible to our Artists.