Movember is back! If you think facial hair is just for burly lumberjacks - think again! This year at Aveda Congress, an International hairstyling hair show, Juut did a segment of men with structured, trimmed beards as part of our showcase. The trendy, tailored, bearded men were a hit! We drew inspiration for our Movember campaign this year from these gorgeous bearded guys.
REMEMBER: Go like the Juut Facebook page and for every new like we will donate $1 to Movember! So LIKE, SHARE, PIN, lower the razors and RAISE awareness!
Check out Aveda Congress Men's Team Lead, Tony Lickteig, explaining how he crafted these structured beards here.
Photographed by Michael Perez.
Step 1: Start by prepping your skin with a moisturizer, and your eyelids with a primer. Use a white eyeliner to fill in your bottom lash line and cover your bottom lashes, bringing the white down to make your eyes look larger and more doll-like.
Step 2: Using a black eyeliner, line the edge of the white, creating a false lower lash line. Use a q-tip with makeup remover to help you perfect the line, if needed. Line the top of your lid with black liner, and then fill in the crease of your eye with black eye shadow.
Step 3: Use white wet makeup to get the porcelain skin look. Add water to your brush or sponge, and apply it evenly all over your face, including over your brows and lips. Set your makeup with a translucent powder, or a white eye powder shadow. Use a pink blush to add soft circles to the apples of your cheeks.
Step 4: Blend the black shadow into the crease, and soften it with a cream colored eye shadow over the rest of the lid. Highlight the brow with the same color. Fill in the brow to create a nice high arch. Apply a full strip of false lashes (we used "wispies").
Step 5: Finish your doll eyes by adding 3 individual lashes, spaced evenly apart, on the bottom "lash line" you created previously with eyeliner.
Step 6: Create small, pouty lip by drawing it in with a bright pink lipstick. Using a lip brush, trace the cupid's bow of your lip, extend it a little past your natural lip line. Keep the shape within the middle of your lip, drawing it down a little past your bottom lip line, as shown.
Doll Makeup tutorial by Jasmine D., former Juut Salonspa Roseville Makeup Artist Jasmine D. who recently moved out of state. We will miss you Jasmine!
Calling all blondes! Halloween is quickly approaching and were going to show you how to style you hair just like Khaleesi Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones!
1) Starting on the right side, take a loose section, starting above the brow. Grabbing hair from only the left, french braid back. Temporarily hold the end with a clip.
2) Do the same to the left side. Clip both braids out of the way.
3) Leaving hair hanging down the middle, continue french braiding the hair above the ears and under the already braided hair.
4) Let down the first two braids and join them together, making one braid.
5) Take the remaining hair in the middle and make a 3-stranded braid.
6) Now you will have 4 braids to work with. Pull at the braids to create as much texture as desired
7) Braid the 4 braids together making one thick textured braid. Bind off with a small, clear binder.
8) Hair pins maybe used to place and hold braids where wanted.
9) Use a comb to back comb the tail of the braid. This will create a fuller look to finer ends.
10) Lastly, finish off with Aveda Air Control hairspray. If needing more hold, use Control Force hairspray.
Hair tutorial + styling by Kimberly C., Senior Stylist at Juut Salonspa Edina
This makeup for this look is pretty easy. It is soft and pretty with all the focus on a strong, dark brow – just like Daenerys!
Step 1- Starting with clean skin, prep your face with tinted moisturizer and primer on your eyelids. Cover your eyelid with a matte taupe eye shadow. Blend a shimmery brown eye shadow into the crease and on the bottom lash line.
Step 2- Highlight your brow bone and the inner corners of your eyes with a darker than your natural brow color. Brush hairs up and into place with a tinted brow gel in the same shade as the brow powder. Cover up any dark circles under the eyes with a concealer. Use a translucent powder to set the tinted moisturizer and concealer.
Step 3- Add color to the apples of your cheeks with a peachy cheek color, and contour your cheekbones with a little bronzer. Dust a little bronzer over the top of your nose. Add a little mascara to the upper lashes, and finish with a moisturizing lip balm or light pink lip tint.
Accessorize: Our beautiful model Nickole is wearing hand carved bone and moonstone earrings by Jessica Matrasko available at Juut.
Makeup tutorial + makeup artist is former Juut Salonspa Roseville Makeup Artist Jasmine D. who recently moved out of state. We will miss you Jasmine!
Hair by Kimberly C., Senior Stylist, Juut Salonspa Edina
We are excited to welcome Anthony "AJ" Sorensen to Minnesota and to the Juut team! He recently moved to the Twin Cities from New York City and will be cutting and styling at both our Edina and Downtown Minneapolis locations. So, here's everything you need to know before coming in to meet AJ:
1. AJ hails from Long Island, NY.
2. He has been the personal hairstylist for Martha Stewart for the past four and a half years.
3. He's been featured on The Martha Stewart Show four times!
4. AJ is the proud owner of a Boston Terrier named Mr. Chucks - who has been featured on Martha Stewart's blog!
5. He has styled Princess Caroline of Monoco’s hair.
6. Growing up AJ was a competitive gymnast and was nationally ranked. He can still do a back flip!
7. AJ began his career in the hair industry in 1997.
8. He didn’t think he wanted to be a hair dresser until his friends convinced him to go to cosmetology school so they could hire him for a brand new salon they were opening.
9. His very first client was a Barbie Doll - after curling her hair he left the curling iron on and started a small fire!
10. AJ lives in Uptown and his favorite thing about Minnesota (so far) is the Juicy Lucy at Matt’s Bar!
11. He has been on the largest privately-owned yacht in the world!
12. AJ has been on the Oprah show twice (once with Martha Stewart and once with Frederic Fekkai).
13. He is half Italian and half Norwegian.
14. AJ has been to several exotic locations with brides as a wedding hair stylist - one of his celebrity brides was Christie Brinkley!
15. Although he never wanted to be an Actor, AJ was an extra in a movie with Bette Midler.
16. He is addicted to ice cream!
17. A few of AJ's celebrity clients include: Martha Stewart, Hillary Clinton, Kelly Osbourne and Sharon Osbourne.
18. AJ has styled at New York Fashion Week shows including: Vera Wang, Amsale, Victoria Beckham, Michael Kors, Proenza Schoeller and Rag & Bone.
19. He is the youngest of three children and is now the proud uncle to four nephews.
20. The most spiritual moment in his life was meeting Maya Angelou.
21. Styled Margarita Missoni's hair for the Met Ball - She then accessorized that hairstyle with a $500,000 jewel-encrusted headband!
22. AJ been on E! News!
23. He was in the final round of casting for "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," just missing out in the final round!
24. He actively practices yoga and loves the bike trails in Minnesota.
25. AJ has been a nude model for a college sculpting class.
26. Provincetown, MA is his favorite place on earth.
27. When he dies, AJ wants half his ashes spread in Provincetown and half off the Empire State Building.
28. AJ has styled Judge Judy’s hair.
29. His mentor is the Creative Director at Frederic Fekkai, Fabrice Gili.
30. AJ used to go backstage every night at Sweeny Todd to give Elaine Paige a blowout after she took her wig off so she could go out to dinner.
AJ will be at Juut Salonspa Downtown Minneapolis Tuesdays and Wednesdays and Juut Salonspa Edina Thursday through Saturday. To learn more about AJ Sorensen's education, experience and services offered visit his profile page.
Maybe we only see you once every 6 weeks, but now you can catch up with us everyday on Instagram!
Are you at Juut right now? Tag us in your photo @Juutsalonspa !
Instagram account name: JuutSalonspa
Here's what we've been 'grammin:
New products from Stephanie Johnson
Cutting edge nails (Nails in photo by Markus J.
Blonde transformations (color here by Erin
Style by Jackson
Glitter ombre nails by Sarah
Men's Cut by Sunny
Bridal makeup by Jasmine
Before + After transformations of Locks of Love haircuts (by Eduardo
Follow us on Instagram here
At Juut, we have over 40 artists newly certified in EasiHair extensions. EasiHair extensions are easy to apply and can be reapplied up to two additional times! Interested in having longer and/or thicker hair in only a couple hours? Here is everything you need to know before going long!
I don’t have all day, how long does it take?
The application of the extensions will take between one and two hours. Before you come in for your actual application, there will be a consultation appointment that will be less than one hour.
How much is a consultation?
The required pre-appointment consultation is free! It helps us order the correct extensions and answer any questions you may have.
Is it real hair?
Yes, EasiHair extensions are real hair that can be washed, dried and colored.
How are they applied?
These very durable tape-in extensions. They are so durable they can be comfortably worn in a tight sleek ponytail. These tape-in extensions are non-damaging, comfortable, natural and undetectable.
So how much?
EasiHair extensions starts at $300. Prices vary depending on how much hair is needed.
And I can put them back in?
The extensions themselves are reusable up to two times (three uses overall). Each application should last as long as your color will (six-eight weeks).
So, I can’t work out for six-eight weeks?
Since EasiHair Extensions can be washed and worn in a ponytail, it is easy to stick to your usual work out routine!
Bikini season is here! Unfortunately for bikini season, studies have shown that hair grows even faster in the summer months! Whether you are cruising the lake on a boat or jetting off to a beach somewhere, a little body hair maintenance is a must! If you’re thinking about waxing and have a few questions we’ve got you covered.
You should never be embarrassed to ask questions before your appointment – BUT we went ahead and asked for you! Master Waxing Specialist, Janis P. from our St. Paul location fills us in on the nitty-gritty details!
“So, I’m thinking of coming in for my first Brazilian wax, what do I need to know?”
For all you Brazilian first timers, trim before you come in. It just saves time that way. You don’t want the hair to be longer than ¾ of an inch, but it needs to be at least a quarter of an inch. Janis says, “Better to be too long than too short!”
“It’s an emergency and I couldn’t plan, can I come get a Brazilian wax or bikini wax with my period?
Janis says, “I don’t mind, but your skin is more sensitive to bruising during that time and it may hurt you a little more. If you can plan to avoid it for the pain, then do.”
“I get ingrown hairs from shaving. Should I wax instead?”
If you experience irritation and/or ingrown hairs from shaving then try waxing. To try and help avoid ingrown hairs, exfoliate your skin the day before a waxing appointment. Exfoliating before your waxing appointment can loosen the hairs so they can be removed easier. You can use Aveda Smoothing Body Polish or a loofah to exfoliate. Immediately afterward, avoid tight or sweaty clothing to let the hair follicles breathe easy.
"I have really sensitive skin. Can I get still waxed?”
If you know you have really sensitive skin, try a test patch. In general, some people are more sensitive to bruising. Try it once or twice and see if you can’t stand how long it takes you to recover from bruising (if any). There’s no way to tell how an individual will react until they try it!
One important exception: If you are taking the oral acne medication Accutane, you cannot get waxed anywhere on your body.
“What should I do after?”
In addition to wearing loose, breathable clothing, we use Organic Solutions to soothe skin. This solution is also great for post-shaving irritation for men or women, and it is available at Juut for $18. Always try and get your workout in before your waxing appointment and never directly after. Janis says, “The best thing you can do is get waxed on your way home for the night and change into your PJs!”
“I heard I should take aspirin before. Is that true?"
30 minutes to an hour before your appointment, take Advil or Pamprin to ease some of the discomfort associated with waxing.
“How long before I hit the beach should I come in?”
If you are getting on a plane or in the car for a road trip, plan your appointment 2-3 days before. Avoid sun exposure for the 24 hours directly following your waxing appointment.
“So, when do I come back?”
It’s different for everybody. The general guide is when the hair is ¼ of an inch long. This is usually 4-6 weeks for most people.
“How can I get the best results from waxing?"
To see the best results from waxing, set up a waxing plan (every 4-6 weeks) and commit to it. Shaving between appointments affects the overall results. With just waxing, over time the hair can become finer and some clients see it come in more sparse.
I'm all waxed and ready for summer, now what? Click here for some summer style inspiration!
Long, hot, humid days can be a pain for any hair type, but don’t fret about your summer hair! We have compiled a list of the trendiest summer-proof and low maintenance hair for summer.
1. Loose Curls
Loose piecey waves, a la Zoe Saldana, can be achieved by curling 1-inch pieces with a curling iron, or by sleeping with wet braids in your hair. Finish with Be Curly hairspray.
2. Smooth Ponytail
Hayden Panettiere fights summer frizz with a sleek ponytail. How to achieve this look: Start with smooth infusion shampoo and conditioner. Apply smooth infusion glossing straightener and blow straight with a Mason Pearson brush. Use the Mason Pearson brush to create the smooth ponytail look, before securing the binder, add some volume at the crown with Volumizing Tonic.
3. Long Bob
Transform this sleek haircut into a full-blown summer look with a blonde sun-kissed balayage.
4. Low Buns
This smooth polished style is very low maintenance for all day wear.
See more summer inspiration on our Summer Pinterest board!
If you are considering putting color in your hair, here are 10 things you need to know before committing to your new look:
1. A one-step color consists of tinting all of your hair a different tone or level. A permanent one-step color should be retouched every 4-6 weeks. Permanent color is the ONLY way to get complete grey coverage.
2. Coloring your hair will change its texture. Hair is softer and healthier after a color treatment. Grey hair feels much less wiry and is easier to manage.
3. Color can't lighten color. Once committed to a permanent shade, the option to lighten the hair becomes a 2-step process. Natural hair has the ability to become 5 shades lighter without bleaching. If you are debating between 2 shades, start with the lighter image, you can always go darker next time.
4. Aveda has a demi-permanent hair color line that is 99% natural, lasts 6-8 weeks, and is ammonia free. If you are going darker without needing grey coverage, I recommend a demi-gloss to keep options open and hair smooth and shiny.
5. Bleach actually DOESN’T damage hair (IF used properly). Breakage occurs from the chemical overlapping itself or poor time management. Bleach can be formulated to work as slow or fast as an artist desires. I believe Aveda Enlightener is the most gentle bleach on the market. With natural buffers and plant extracts hair is protected during the lifting process.
6. Sun and shampoo are the two main reasons hair color fades. Protect your new look by shampooing with Color Conserve Shampoo. Letting your color go from wet to dry in the sun creates a high risk of fading. Aveda Sun Veil keeps hair protected for 16 hours and leaves awesome finish on the hair.
7. Balayage consists of hand painting highlights to create modern dimensional color. Balayage is the softest way to introduce color into your hair. One Ombré or Balayage service can last you all summer.
8. A new color should come with a maintenance plan. Most colors are maintained differently than they are created. Meaning you may spend more time and money initially to set it up your new look, but once it is installed, appointments become short and sweet. Most of my guests balayage their hair three times a year. They may maintain a one-step color more regularly in order to cover grey, manage dark or light new growth, or change their tone and add shine.
9. All Aveda color is customized individually, and every formulation is perfectly personalized. Colors consist of bases and tones expertly blended precisely for you.
10. Color and Cut Consultations are always complimentary if you have more questions before you're ready to ready to make a change!
Blog post by Lindsey Yozamp, Master Color Specialist. Lindsey has been with Juut since 2004. In addition to working at Gaviidae, Lindsey is a color educator at the Juut New Artists Academy.